Saturday, September 1, 2012

Pass The Cigars Please


Posted by Liberty on Nov 12, '07 7:10 PM for everyone

For moms and dads to be, I think there is something more pressing than Hamlet's philosophical question "to be or not to be?"  I think the bigger question for them is "will it be a boy or girl?"

Thanks to modern technology, my husband and I did not need to be philosophical nor wait a full nine months to find out what will it be. Pass the cigars please. WE ARE HAVING A BABY BOY!!!! One part of the suspense is over. I am so ecstatic. I prayed for a boy. And that's what I got. Not that I wouldn't be happy if the baby turned out to be a girl. Girls are so adorable. And just think about all the shopping we can do together. But a boy. I really wanted a boy for my first.

From the very beginning of my pregnancy, I felt that I was having a boy. But an earlier ultrasound made us doubt my initial instincts. The doctor said that his best guess was it was a girl. While we saw a little "peepee" showing, he said it was too small to be one. 

Well, duh, it was only 11 weeks then. I did not believe him.
My husband on the other hand did. He has always felt that I was having a girl. He comes from a family of many girls and very few boys and so he thought that most likely we would be having a girl. Deep inside, I know he just really wanted a little me. The exact same reason why I wanted a boy. I wanted a little Tommy.
Copy of tom1
But apart from my maternal and womanly instinct telling me I was having a boy, there were so many telltale signs as well. That is, if you believe in old housewives tales. I never took them seriously but they kept me hoping the earlier ultrasound was wrong because all the signs I was getting were telling me I needed to paint the nursery room blue!

They say if you like sleeping on you right side, you are having a boy. And I really prefer sleeping on my right which was unusual for me who has always loved to sleep on my left. I have been fighting this urge every night because when you're pregnant it is best to lie on your left side for a better blood flow for you and the baby.

I am always craving for salty foods too, which is another sign you are having an Adam rather than an Eve. My husband has been fighting me about this because he knows too much salt is not good for me. Ahhh! Give me two more pounds of French fries please!
tom2

I have also always complained that it feels my uterus is so low. Another sign they say you're having a boy. They say boy infants sit low on your uterus and baby girls sit high. I never knew most of these old housewives tales tales while I was observing these things about my body. I learned them AFTER I learned I was having a baby boy.

There were two things though which I knew were superstitious beliefs if you're having a boy and that kept me optimistic. One, I noticed my hair got really dark and thick and very shiny. Another sign my mom says you're having a boy. And my baby sure kicks strong. Long before my doctor said I should be feeling them externally! He likes pulling my umbilical cord too. I believe my baby is playing Tarzan. So I knew I was having a boy.
Copy of tom6

One housewife tale does not apply to me though. My best friend Arlene told me if you're getting prettier these days, chances are you're having a girl. Well, everyone is telling me I look really good these days. And I think my mirror on the wall says the same thing too. I'm not looking ugly these days. But I am having a boy!!!!

Guessing games are over. The November 7 ultrasound showed confidently we were having a boy. I asked the doctor, "is there any doubt he may not be a boy but a girl?"  "Look at the screen. He is giving us a standing ovation!"  Ha-ha-ha.He was right. There it was, the unquestionable "peepee" standing strong and proud. And to top it off, the baby was giving us a thumbs up with his right hand.It was so funny.

I was so shocked though. At that point I was prepared to hear "it's a girl!"  I have already started fantasizing about the things I will do with my girl. I even have a name for her already. And then I heard, "Congratulations. You're having a boy."It was declared twice. First by the technician. And then the doctor came and reconfirmed the same thing. We are having a boy.

I went home in a daze but I just kept thanking and praising God for His great favor on us. He has granted us another prayer. He is a really loving and generous God. Our hearts are filled with so much love and gratefulness to Him.
So pass some cigars my dear friends. It's a boy. A most wonderful boy. Okay, cigars are not really healthy. Let us just pass some more french fries please...

*Above pictures are my husband's Tom's baby pictures. Wasn't he a most adorable baby? I am wishing my baby will look like him.

No comments:

Post a Comment