Saturday, September 1, 2012

Happy New Year, Manila style




As a kid growing in Manila the most exciting piece of artillery I must have to be able to join the noisemaking fiesta by midnight was a Torotot, a paper trumpet.
They come in the most varied, beautiful, designs made out of the most colorful, most shiny materials one can find. Some are made out of very ingenious materials like rolls of old Filipino movies.

I don't know how they ended up being torotots, but I remember countless hours after New Year's looking at miles long of film negatives from my now "disassembled torotot" against the sun. Trying to guess from which movie it was taken. But that's another story.
After my 'Christmas in the Philippines' installations, I thought I should wrap it up with how New Year's is celebrated in the Philippines. Hand in hand with Christmas, welcoming New Year was the other festivity that brings so much great childhood memories to me.

One can say the Philippines is the land of fiesta. There is a fiesta (feast, celebrations) for almost any reason one can come up with it. And New Year's is the biggest fiesta of all!
New Year is the most riotous, and the rowdiest fiesta. Believing that noise ward off evil spirits, Filipinos go crazy making sure they can create the biggest, loudest noise when that siren blows at midnight to announce the arrival of new year. They light as much firecrackers as they can, beat their drums or pans, empty cans, or even kitchen pots. Some toot their car horns while stringing along empty cans.

And for kids scared to handle firecrackers like me, blowing of the torotot endlessly till you almost pass out for lack of air is your ticket to all this fanfare. The ensuing level of noise and explosion sounds from the firecrackers reaches a crescendo when midnight strikes. Then its absolute madness!

But all this madness brings absolute joy as well. And an almost grand sense of optismism that the new year sure brings a better life, better luck.
Then as soon as the noise starts its decrescendo, human voice reasserts its presence. Family members start gathering near the dining area. For just like Noche Buena, a midnight dinner on Christmas Eve, a feast is also laid down for the family to share on New Year's Eve. The meal is also eaten at midnight, hence the Spanish term Media Noche.

Media Noche is a more lavish food celebration compared to the Noche Buena of Christmas. For whatever you prepare on the table is also designed in some way as to foster good luck and prosperity to come into your home all year round. So special care in planning the menu is observed.

Amongst a few other things, my mom made sure there there were 12 types of round-shaped fruits to represent the 12 months of the year. Fullness and roundness for every month. I remember my lola (grandma) preparing a basket for each grandchild full of 12 round fruits as well, to be handed out also at midnight. Oh how loved and special I felt as I received my loaded basket from her.

In my own home in Hawaii, I still observed a tradition my mom used to do in the Philippines, and still does to this day, of making sure all lights in the house must be lit, and coins scattered throughout the window sills and door steps. All this for, you guessed right, Good luck and prosperity.

Another "odd" thing I remember one must do on New Year's is wearing clothes preferably with polka dots on them, of red and gold if possible. Again for prosperity measures. And clothes must have deep pockets and be filled with new money bills and coins. And you jump up and down to jingle them vigorously at the stroke of midnight for good luck.
They also told me it would help me grow taller. So every New Year's eve, I jumped and jumped and jumped. 

It must have worked since now standing at 5'7", I am taller than many Filipinos. But as for luck in the money department, well, that's a different story. And as every member finally sits down on the table to partake of the lavish Media Noche preparation, conversation gradually fills the air. Everybody seems giddy with the anticipation of a better year. 

Believing they did their best in greeting the New Year, one eats with gusto.
And to eat till your belly is distented is a must. Again, for luck and prosperity. For at New Year's anything perceived to be of lack, or missing in fullness is not lucky. Even bins containing rice or grains must be heaped to the brim. (If your supply does not fill the container to the brim, you must transfer to a smaller container so you can achieve that full to the brim requirement).

Well, after all that eating, it's time to retire to bed. Feeling loved and lucky, I remember bringing my basket of fruits and nuts to bed. They brought me sweet dreams of finding teasures of gold coins hidden under my pillows.

Manigong Bagong Taon (Happy New Year) to all of you. I wish you all the luck, happiness and health this year and forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment