Saturday, September 1, 2012

Everyday is Lei Day in Hawaii


Posted by Liberty on Jul 25, '07 11:01 AM for everyone

Nothing says aloha better than a Hawaiian flower lei.  There is no special reason or designated time to give or receive one.  A lei is given to someone as a symbol of affection, honor, a welcome or goodbye.  Or for no other reason except that you appreciate someone and you want him or her to feel special or loved that day.

I love leis.  I love giving them.  Receiving them makes me feel so special and loved.  The love you feel is instantaneous as soon as you feel that beautiful lei of love going over your head and resting on your chest and your shoulders. Hmmm….it’s one of the best feelings in the world.

I have been away from all of you for what feels like forever.  I have missed all of you so much.  I wanted to offer each one of you a beautiful lei but I can’t do that in the cyberspace world so I’m writing this little piece about Hawaiian leis.  Just imagine as you read it that I bequeath you with one, coupled with a sweet kiss on your cheek.  Aloha…I have missed you, my friend.

The tradition of lei giving and lei making goes back to the ancient Hawaiian days. During those times, leis were mostly worn only by the alii, or the ruling class.  And originally, leis were constructed with more permanent items like feathers, ivory, beads, and even teeth.

In present Hawaii, everyone can wear a lei.  No special ranking nor special reason required.  If somebody wants to give you an extra dose of aloha, you get a lei.  And they are mostly made now  with flowers, leaves, some nuts, sometimes feathers. Sometimes even with candies!!!

I am so grateful that this tradition is alive and has become one of the strongest symbols for Hawaiian aloha.  And while there are no strict rules in wearing and giving and receiving these wonderful garlands of flowers and love, the most popular occasions for lei giving are birthdays, graduations, and weddings.  And on Fridays, our designated aloha day of the week, you will see people wearing leis more often, as well as the traditional muumuu for women and aloha shirts for men.

A haku lei, worn around the head is my favorite one.  Wearing one makes me feel like a princess.  But traditionally it is worn only during weddings or for special honor or occasions like Mother’s Day or something.  Or Easter Sunday.  And on May 1st, which is our Lei Day in Hawaii.  But that’s another story.

Well, my friend, in my mind and heart, I have strung beautiful and sweet smelling flowers into a garland I offer you today to wear as a symbol of my appreciation for your friendship.  May you feel loved today….Aloha oe.

Today’s Treasure:

“I delight greatly in the Lord; my soul rejoices in my God.  For he has clothed me with garments of salvation and arrayed me in a robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest, and as a bride adorns herself with jewels” (Isaiah 61:10).

No comments:

Post a Comment