Saturday, September 1, 2012

Happy Feet


Posted by Liberty on Jul 17, '07 2:37 PM for everyone
Do new shoes make you happy?  I don’t know about you, but new shoes do make so happy!  The right kind of shoes when found can lift up my mood; make me feel sexy, pampered, and yes, even loved!

Some men out there may not be able to relate well to this topic.  But the gorgeous women out there, the shoe divas, they know exactly the kind of joy I am talking about when it comes to shoes.  Pretty shoes.

Last night my girlfriend and I were having dinner, in a nice Italian restaurant near where I live.  Seated across our table were two women with their three male friends.  My friend and I passed by their table on our way to ours earlier.  We just came back from a successful shoe shopping spree.  To put it mildly, we were like angels floating with our new, sparkly shoes.   

We were giddy, feeling girly and all beautiful with our new pretty shoes. Our effervescent mood must have been visible to some people around us because my friend  noticed that three gentlemen across the table kept looking towards our direction, almost unmindful of their company.  I thought that was a little rude of them.  Both towards me and my friend and their dates!

I got up from our table and went towards their table with the plan of telling them exactly that when before I could speak they all started talking excitedly to me!  The brunette-haired man, who was probably in his early thirties said that they were telling their sisters (yes, their sisters) how beautiful my red shoes were.  And how radiant I looked while I was walking with them.

They also said they couldn’t help notice that I kept admiring my own two feet in them while seated and talking with my girlfriend!  I was almost embarrassed with that comment but they seemed so innocent when they said that.  I said, “Oh, I just got them today and I really love them”. 

“They are so gorgeous”, one of the pretty sisters said.  “Our brothers said we must get something like that ourselves”.  “You should”, I said.  I thanked them for their compliments and walked back to our table.  My original thought forgotten.

And as a gesture of their apologies for staring at us earlier, they sent me and my friend a glass of champagne each.  The evening was even more enjoyable after that.  And it all started with a pretty pair of red shoes.

I read somewhere that “buying a new pair of shoes, or something even as small as a lipstick, resonates with the idea that we are loved, because it is a kind of gift we give to ourselves.”  And I think wearing shoes is part of ornamenting ourselves.  (Women understand this better).  There is merit to that effort.  To some, including me, it may mean you’re celebrating and respecting your physical self and presenting it to the world.  And it is not only our effort that makes us feels good, it is also the kind of response that we get.  Though appreciative glances may go by in a second, when we get them, they make us happy.  Isn’t it true ladies?  And for you gentlemen out there, I know you can appreciate us ladies when we look and feel beautiful.

Adorning ourselves may be one purpose of shoes in the western world, the benefit of protection weighs more to some people in other parts of the world or different cultures.  In some remote, rural villages of China, medical care may be inaccessible that people rely heavily on superstitions to ensure their children live long, healthy lives. 

One popular superstition they have is for children to wear Tiger Shoes. These shoes are made out of cloth and adorned with tigers to help ward off evil spirits.  The tiger appliqué on these shoes are believed to fool evil spirits that the child is just an ordinary animal-and the spirits would have no reason to harm these “animals”.

Though they look cute (on kids) I’m glad I don’t have to wear any tiger shoes.  I’m perfectly happy with my new red shoes.  And the gold, and the turquoise, and those strappy black ones, gold, champagne colored pair, glass-beaded brown one, etc. etc.  My husband said I must surely be related to Imelda Marcos with the amount of shoes I have.

Well, a beautiful pair of shoes just gives me the right kick for things.  What about you, what do you feel about new shoes?  Pretty new shoes.  But for the moment, off goes my sexy pair of red shoes.  The ocean waits.

No comments:

Post a Comment